Thursday, September 13, 2012

Glucose test

Since last week was week 24 I had to do my glucose test.  I was a bit nervous because Jen ended up having gestational diabetes and I knew how much it would change the things I eat in the next few months.  I had done my research and determined that the morning before the test I should eat something high in protein and avoid something very sugary.  I got to the doctor's office and drank my sugary drink...and an hour later the nurse told me I had failed the one hour glucose test. oh no!  It turns out that the banana I had with my breakfast was SUPER high in carbs and sugars. Oops.  While I hoped it was just the banana, I worried that maybe I had developed gestational diabetes.

So, for the next week, I did my best to try to eat low carb/low sugar food.  This meant getting rid of all the goodies I was used to eating during the week - bananas, grapes, nectarines, pasta, english muffins.  I switched to apples, cottage cheese, greek, yogurt. I was pretty nervous going in to the 3 hour glucose test this morning.  The worst part was that I had to fast and couldn't eat the next morning during the test.  Oh, I would be so hungry!
The great news is that I passed the test!  I tested normal for the first fasting blood test taken before I drank the sugary drink.  Then I passed the next two, which meant that I didn't have to stay the extra hour for the last test.  Hooray!! I think I'll have some ice cream to celebrate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment